UK: Helpful Information

Obtaining a National Insurance Number

Employers use your National Insurance (NI) number to deduct tax and NI contributions. Your NI contributions entitle you to be eligible for free hospital and General Practitioner services and will also enable to claim tax rebates smoothly. To obtain a NI number you must already have found employment. Once your consultancy has placed you, their payroll department will automatically issue you with a temporary NI number. It is then your responsibility to contact your local Department of Work & Pension (DWP) office to apply for a permanent NI number. To find your nearest DWP office or to find out more information on NI please visit or

Tax in the UK

For those working via Pay As You Earn (PAYE) Tax and National Insurance will be deducted at source by your employer / consultancy. If you have worked in the UK before, you will need to provide your new employer with your P45. For further information please visit the HM Revenues & Customs Department ttps://

Money Transfers

FX Capital

FX Capital is a foreign currency company that offers commercial rates of exchange to private clients who have a requirement to send funds overseas. There are no costs, charges or commission and you are looked after by your own account manager who will ensure you get as much currency for your money as possible.
Contact us now for more details

Finding Accommodation in London

Most rented properties in the UK are let fully furnished enabling you to move straight in. Apart from your monthly rent you will be required to place a deposit (usually 1 month rent), you will incur additional expenses including bills, council tax (varies depending on the size of the property and the London Borough) and a TV license.

Most London estate agents will have a Lettings Department; they will also manage the property on behalf of the landlord. Alternatively you can rent directly through the landlord or investigate flat share options. Estate Agents or Landlords may require references.

Useful websites include:

Registering with a Doctor and Dentist

The National Health Service (NHS) is a public service, which provides free or subsidized medical treatment to British nationals and overseas nationals residing in the UK for six months or more.

If you are planning on residing in the UK for six months or more it is important to register with a local General Practitioner (GP). This will entitle you to free medical treatment. If you are not registered with a GP in an emergency you can visit the Accident & Emergency Department of any hospital.

To find your local GP please visit NHS Direct on You will be asked to provide your postcode. For further information on the NHS please visit


Registering with a dentist isn’t necessary until you need dental care. Should you need care you will have to register with a National Health dentist and you will have to pay for treatment. The British Dental Association will provide you will a list of dentists in your area.

Exchange SA driver license in the UK